Right part, right price, right now
Right part, right price, right now
CALL US ON : 0800 999 6774

General use and cooking articles

A built in microwave will almost definitely cheaper to repair than to replace

We repair a great number of built in microwave ovens. For many years now new kitchens have had the option to have a microwave or combi oven fitted within the wall units to keep the worktop clear.


The microwave tends to be based around a free standing microwave so from our point of view will be just as easily repaired – once it is out of the unit. To that end if you can remove it from the housing why not bring it into our shop to save the call out. The repair will be even cheaper.


The unit often has the trim pieces top and bottom fitted to the oven. if you can see screws then they are probably just locating the oven within the housing. It is usually sat on a plynth to centralise it in the housing and more often than not held in mainly by gravity.

Like a lot of built in appliances, it will be a lot easier and no doubt cheaper to repair the microwave than to have to find a replacement that is the same design and size.
built in 1

 built in 2
As you can see from the photos here of a typical example that has come in for repair. The trim is fitted to the oven so has come out of the housing with it and there are even hand holds for carrying the oven to your car.

If you are in our repair area please follow this link for opening hours and bring your microwave into us and we’ll see what we can do.
Created On  15 Feb 2017 14:57 in General use and cooking articlesTechnical and repair articles  -  Permalink
0 Comments  

Is this dish safe for use in my microwave?


This is one area where we find a lot of confusion: what sorts of plates, bowls and dishes can be used in a microwave without harming them?


Most cookware or tableware these days will be marked as microwave safe; but beware of anything with a gold or silver coloured trim or patterning, these won't damage the microwave but you can get some spectacular "fireworks" from the shiny trim (and damage the utensil too).




Here's a link to a useful guide on how to tell is  a utensil is microwave safe: http://www.fitnessandfreebies.com/food/cooking/dish.html
Created On  9 Jun 2014 14:40 in General use and cooking articles  -  Permalink
0 Comments  

How to use your microwave


Found yourself left with a big mess to clean up after using the microwave? Food not cooked properly all the way through? Then you need to remind yourself of the basics when it comes to microwave use.

Your microwave may seem like the easiest and most convenient appliance in your kitchen – and it is – but little mistakes can cause big problems, so follow these tips carefully…

Don’t put metal in your microwave - it’s the most common mistake that people make. Ensure that you only use microwave safe cookware and don’t leave any pieces of metal cutlery inside. Microwaves can’t pass through metal, so cooking will be very uneven, and some parts may not even cook at all.



Arrange foods so that they cook evenly - Microwaves cook from the outside inwards, so arrange foods carefully with the thickest parts (such as broccoli stalks) outwards. Keep foods of the same shape and size together in a circle and try to avoid putting food in the centre. This will ensure that everything cooks evenly



Cover dishes - this will eliminate the risk of any splashes and it also cuts down on cooking time

Frequently stir, turn and rotate your food – this ensures an even distribution of heat

Before cooking foods with hard skins, such as potatoes and sausages, use a fork to pierce the skins - this allows steam to escape, avoiding the risk of them popping and splattering.And our top tip for cleaning your microwave…

Mix a cup of water with ¼ cup of vinegar together in a bowl. Pop it in your microwave and heat for 3-5 minutes, depending on how dirty your microwave is

Once done, leave the bowl in there with the door closed for a couple of minutes to give it some time to work.

Remove the bowl and wipe the clean your microwave – it should come off without any scrubbing required!


Created On  22 May 2014 16:39 in General use and cooking articles  -  Permalink
0 Comments