I follow a lot of conversations about all things microwave and a subject that has come to the fore again recently is the worry about the need for microwave cookware being BPA free.
So what is BPA ?
BPA stands for bisphenol A. BPA is an industrial chemical that has been used to make certain plastics and resins since the 1960s.
BPA is found in polycarbonate plastics and epoxy resins. Polycarbonate plastics are often used in containers that store food and beverages, such as water bottles. They may also be used in other consumer goods.
Epoxy resins are used to coat the inside of metal products, such as food cans, bottle tops and water supply lines.
Some research has shown that BPA can seep into food or beverages from containers that are made with BPA. Exposure to BPA is a concern because of possible health effects of BPA on the brain, behavior and prostate gland of fetuses, infants and children. Additional research suggests a possible link between BPA and increased blood pressure.
For this reason it makes sense that when you use plastic microwave cookware to see if it is BPA free if possible.
On these 2 items from our shop you can see that they are clearly marked as BPA free:] this product shows that it is BPA microwave soup mug showing BPA free label
However. The chances of your food absorbing any BPA is very small anyway. Even if you use plastics that are not BPA free there is only a very minuscule chance that any will be absorbed from the plastic to the food.
The chance is increased in plastics that are classed as one use plastics that get reheated that were never designed to be heated in the first place. Examples are margarine tubs or fast food takeaway containers. I would advise transferring these into at least a proper microwave container, whether it be microwave safe or even glass just to be absolutely sure.
As it happens all of the cookware we sell at www.kitchenwareonline.com is BPA free just to be sure. Although cookware doesn't have to be marked as BPA free if it is marked as such you will be sure that BPA will never be an issue in your kitchen.